NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Which breed of small dogs has the least number of health issues

looking for a small dog of a breed that does not have many genetic and other health problems.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
The key to this is finding a breeder who is carefully health testing adult dogs before breeding to ensure the pups have the best chance of being healthy.
Here is a list of breeds with some health issues but it may not be totally accurate or complete (my breed is listed as having problems it does not have)
This has a more complete list but its harder to decipher
and again accuracy is only as good as the people who supplied the researchers with information.
This one may be a little easier to read
My advice would be to find a dog breed you like and then look for a responsible breeder who is doing a good job of breeding and testing for health issues before a breeding takes place.
I can say some breeds have a larger list of serious issues including the ones with extra short faces.
Hope this helps you!