Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

What can I do to hydrate a sick dog

I have a four year old cocker/springer spaniel who we picked up from the kennel yesterday. He was boarded for 7 days during the holidays. After we returned home, we waited a couple of hours to give him food and water However, over the past 12 hours after eating and drinking, he has diarrhea and vomiting. What can we give him to make him feel better? I assume this is from the stress of boarding but am not sure how to hydrate him without making him more sick. His stomach is empty now and the vomit looks like clear gel. Thank You.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 9 years ago.

The only thing that you can really do at home is use some plain pedialyte in very small amounts to rehydrate him. Some emetrol might also help with the nausea. It's a baby anti-nausea medication.

If he won't drink the pedialyte, you can try to administer it with a syringe (no needle). If he STILL won't take fluids, I would suggest a call to your vet in case he needs sub q fluids.

Let me know if you have more questions.