NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

how can i tell when my dog is done whelping

Customer Question

she had 5 puppies but i think she has more to deliver
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
She may rest for a bit and then whelp some more. If she still is panting and a little restless then its likely she has more to come. She may also still look big or you may feel some contractions if you put a hand along her side.
With a big litter it takes a while for the pups in the 'back' to get down to the birth canal.
I'd suggest bringing her a drink of water and lace it with a spoon of sugar to help give her some energy. I usually give goats milk to the mom with a spoon of sugar in it for fluids, energy boost, and good materials for the mom to make milk. They won't get up to drink but do need the fluids after birthing and so appreciate some being offered.
If you see no pups in the next couple hours or see her strain for more than 20 minutes with no pup produced then head for a vet for an x-ray and whatever help is needed to deliver the rest of the pups. Bring a hot water bottle or snuggle disc and the other pups so they stay with mom and don't get chilled while she is being checked over. They can refill hot water bottles for you as needed at the vet.
I wrap a towel around the bottle of hot water so pups can snuggle up or move away as needed.
Hope this helps you!