NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

I have a 6 week old puppy how often do I feed the puppy ...

Customer Question

I have a 6 week old puppy how often do I feed the puppy and what kind of food?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Wow this pup is young to have left the litter the earliest is usually 7 weeks to give the pup time to learn critical things like control of biting.
You should start by feeding the food the puppy is used to so you may want to call the breeder and ask. Sudden food changes can cause digestive upset. You can slowly swap a pup to a new food by adding a little more new food each meal.
This age puppy I'd be feeding at least 4 times a day. Make sure the pup has plenty of water too.
Depending on the dog it may be willing to eat canned food, softened dry food, or plain dry food. I usually raise my puppies on a premium food suitable for all life stages but some like to feed a puppy food for the first year. Pet supply stores carry many good foods which are better quality than what you can find in a grocery store.
Hope this helps you!