Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Can dogs get their own version of jock itch

Can dogs get their own version of jock itch? My Australian Shepherd has been licking / almost biting his groin area to a point where it has almost become raw. If so, will typical human treatments do the trick?

Jock itch is a fungal condition. Dogs can get ringworm which is a fungal condition and that can be treated with an over the counter antifungal creat that states on the package that it is for ringworm.

However, dogs frequently get skin infections that are not fungal in nature. It might be a skin condition such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. If allergies, Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

If the licking is confined to his privates, then it could also be a urinary tract infection as well. I do urge you to have this looked at by your Vet so appropriate treatment can be started.

Hope these suggestions help.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Seems like good advice, thank you very much! I have clicked on accept, so you should be paid.

Thanks again!

Your welcome! Hope one of the above suggestions gives your baby some relief.