Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Why does my dog bite her tail and legs and lick her crotch

Why does my dog bite her tail and legs and lick her crotch? She has beend doing this a lot lately when we are not around or when we are sleeping?

Is your dog on advantage or frontline?
Is there hair loss?
Any rash?
Is she drinking more?
Is she urinating more?
Any accidents in the house?
How old is she and what breed?
Does she do this while you are awake?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Jane,

Thanks for the help

1. No she is not on either Advantage or Frontline.

2. Yes, on her tail and hind legs.

3. Yes, in her crotch and inside leg area.

4. Yes she is drinking more water.

5.I would have to say no on urinating more. She still does the same

6. No she does not had any accidents in the house.

7. She is 7 years old, she is a German Sheppard Rotty mix.

8. She does but only when we are not around. If one is home and in the shower and come out we can catch her doing it. SOmetimes when left in the car and we come back she is doing it. When we are sleeping she awakes my girlfriend because my girlfriend can hear her doing it. The dog sleeps in the room with us.

There could be a few different things that can cause this. It could be a flea allergy, tapeworms or other allergy condition.I would put her on a good flea preventative like frontline or advantage as it sounds like a flea allergy. Even one flea can cause intense itching and is normally seen in the tail and rear leg area. Tapeworms can cause these symptoms as well. So you may want to have a stool sample tested for worms as well. If there is hair loss you will want your Vet to do a skin scraping to rule out other potential causes.

The increase in her thirst may point to the start of a urinary tract infection, vaginitis or a kidney or bladder problem. These can cause an increase in licking of the vulva as can fleas.Keep an eye on her for increased urination, dribbling urine, a strong odor to her urination, squatting without urination or difficulty urinating. If any of these symptoms occur you will want to get her seen by the Vet.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you.

What should we do about her biting her legs? She still continues to do this even when we tell her NO. SHe knows what she is doing is wrong but continues to do it. Any help on this as well? Thanks.

The flea prevenative should stop the leg biting as well.