Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My 13lbs dog ate a 10 mg Valium (I think). If he did, he ...

My 13lbs dog ate a 10 mg Valium (I think). If he did, he just ate it, and showing no signs. I am concerned if he did eat it- he is too small and he will not be able to "just wear it off". Please advise

Hello Stephanie Kyles

While that is not a toxic dose for your little boy that is definately a high dose.

If it were my dog, I would give him 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide every 15 minutes until he vomits the pill up or you feel his stomach is empty.

Then you will not have to worry about having to go to the emergency clinic later because his respiratory rate seems too slow or he is too lethargic.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: I just read on line that I should only give him a teaspoon for every 10lbs- are you sure about the Cup?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how long should it take before I start to see affects of the valium?
It would take about an hour for it to get in his blood stream.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are you sure about a cup? I just read only a teaspoon for every 10 lbs?
If I tell you a cup you are going to get about half in him. : ) When I follow those recommended doses it always takes 3 doses to get the dogs to vomit so I start with more. I am trying to get him to vomit right away or he is going to start absorbing the valium.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So while I was waiting- I gave him about 2 Teaspoons (about 3 on me) and then I tore up the living room where my husband said he left the valium- and I FOUND IT! he didn't eat it afterall- thank God! BUT now- last question- and I will give you extra money for your trouble- how long will it take for his stomach to settle down from the peroxide? Can I now give him some pepto or something- (or he may prefer to just leave him alone)- Thanks

I always get 1/2 the peroxide everywhere too. For future reference don't get more than 1/2 a cup in the dog total.

That's a bummer that he did not even eat the pill!

Now try giving him a piece of bread to soak up the peroxide.

You can give him 1 tsp pepto . If he vomits that up try more pepto in 2 hours.

He will be nauseous for about 2-3 hours.

Happy holidays

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Happy Holidays to you to- Normally when i have asked a question- it asks me if I want to give a bonus- but this time- it didn't. I am going to go thru with the payment to see if it comes up later in the transaction- if not- email [email protected] with instructions on how to give you a bonus (ie via the website, your paypal email address, or a real address and I will send you a check)

thanks for all of your help and a quick response- I don't know what I would have done if I had to wait long for a response!

Don't worry about a bonus.

I knew we were under a time constraint.

Watch out for Pepto flying every where too.

Happy Holidays.