Patricia
Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.
1035247

Is it safe to sleep with my dog if she has tapeworms

Customer Question

My dog sleeps with me every night and I just found out that she has tapeworms. Is it safe for her to sleep with me?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.

Hi Heather. She is going to be constantly sheeding segments of the worms, from her rectum until she has been treated for them and she is totally rid of the infestation. It will look like little pieces of dried rice. And yes, humans can be infected by tapeworms. I would suggest that you make her sleep elsewhere until you know she is rid of them and it would be good idea to give all your bed clothes a thorough washing as well. When you get all your bed clothes clean, I would not allow her back up there until the worms are gone. Your vet can test a sample of her stool to let you know when she is free of them. I hope this helps but if you have more questions, just let me know. Patricia