Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Canine General and Emergency Medicine
814724

Why does a dog throw up yellow stringy thick liquid substance

It is about 1/4 cup of yellow thick stringy liquid. Sometimes it takes so much effort to get it up he momentarily passes out., but then seems fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 7 years ago.

Just a few questions to get more information:

How old is your dog?
How long has he been vomiting?
How many times has he vomited?
Is he able to keep down water?
Any diarrhea?
Is he currently vaccinated?

Thank you,
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience: Canine General and Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Amanda's Post: answers to question from DR Amanda
2 years old
severlal times in last year but 2 of those in last 6 weeks
he can keep water and food down
no diarrhea
vaccinations current
Hello again,

Vomiting unfortunately is a very vague sign of the problem occurring somewhere inside the body. Vomiting is a reflex of the body that is originally meant to rid itself of contents of the stomach. This is extremely helpful when something harmful has been ingested and needs to be evacuated. Signals from the stomach/digestive tract or blood stream go to the brain and cause vomiting. The brain talks to the stomach and causes the vomiting reflex. Some diseases cause this reflex even when the stomach is empty.

The following is a small list of possible causes of vomiting:

·Foreign object ingestion
·Overindulgence of food
·Eating rotten/spoiled food/garbage (food poisoning)
·Ingestion of toxins
·Diabetes
·Liver disease
·disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
·Internal parasites (roundworms, hookworms, etc.)
·colitis (inflammation of the large intestine)
·gastric ulcers
·pancreatitis
·Addisons disease
·Kidney failure
·Food allergy/intolerance

Since you have a young dog that is not vomiting continuously, and rather infrequently, I would not be overly concerned about any diseases. The lack of diarrhea eliminates some of the above diseases.

It is most likely is that he ate something that his stomach/intestines did not agree with and the body rid itself of it. Or the offending food/material may have passed, but the body still tries to vomit. The yellow color is usually bile from the intestines (helps with digestion) and the mucus comes from the stomach and intestines. If there is nothing in the stomach, and he vomits, then mucus and bile are all that are expelled.

The time to take him in is when he continues to vomit over a period of 2-3 hours, vomits intermittently over the course of 12-24 hours or is vomiting blood or foreign material (rocks, wood chips, cloth, etc.).

Sincerely,
Dr. Amanda

My dog will vomit whenever he gets into too much cat food (too rich) or cat poop!