Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian

why does my dog have discharge coming from his penis. its

Customer Question

my dog has a discharge coming from his penis. it's been really bad for the last 2 months. it's a mucous color and it's nonstop. i've taken him to the vet and they can't seem for find anything wrong but it just doesn't seem right. he is a neutered male about 1 yr/9 months. what can this be and what can I do to stop it?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Peter Bennett, DVM replied 7 years ago.
There is a possibility that this discharge is coming from the sheath around the penis, not from within the penis itself. The sheath is formed by the skin covering the penis.

It is a perfect place for bacteria to develop. This usually produces some discharge, usually doesn't bother the dog, and usually can be cleared up at home quite easily.

Some type of disinfectant solution can be squirted into the sheath opening, taking care that it isn't put into the penile opening. Betadine solution, available at most drug stores, diluted about 50-50 with water works well. It is used in surgery, so is safe for this.

The problem is finding something to squirt it with. A 50 cc syringe works well, but not everyone has access to one.You might try the vet's, explaining what it's for.. Don't need a needle !! Another, probably better choice, is a baby ear syringe, or rubber bulb. Get that at the drug store as well.

Put the tip into the sheath opening, gently squirt the fluid in until the pouch feels fairly full. Let it sit and work around in there and let it drain out. This should stop the discharge.You will probably need to repeat this occasionally.

If this doesn't clear it up, go back to the vet, explain what you tried, and go from there. Best Wishes.
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
actually the vet did that with a saline solution and he's still discharging quite a bit. she just, today, put him on antibiotics for a month to see if that helps...
any other ideas
No different ones, just the same one. Saline is just a rinse, has no antibacterial properties whatsoever. Betadine is a potent bactericidal agent. This part of the anatomy is, technically,considered to be on the 'outside' of the body, and as such, it'll take the antibiotics a long time to build up to an effective level. If it were a direct flush, much better results, but...

Finish the antibiotics, and try the Betadine flush when it comes back (which it will do , sometime). If it doesn't go away, do the flush and see what happens. Then, tell the Doc so she can change her treatment on the next case. If you don't give the pills, she'll think you don't trust her judgment. Especially if she finds out you got the idea off the internet!!

Best wishes, whatever you do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX, DVM's Post: understood - I'll try the rinse first, actually and if it works I'll tell her I did both. If I hit accept, will I still have access to our communication??
No, leave it open. It'll time out tomorrow some time, but you can still come back afterwards. If you accept, it closes the question. You can accept anytime after it times out, if you wish.

There is a natural bit of 'lubrication' in the sheath, but excess is not normal and is probably from some mild to moderate irritation and relatively innocuous bacterial growth. Draws gnats by the drove in the summertime, too.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that's a little gross!
I'll try it - thank you much for your help:-)
(I just cut and pasted our conversation for future reference)