Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is itching like crazy, what can I do

Scratching and biting all over and he has red growths and bumps on him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Sr,

Did these pop up all of the sudden or did they start in one particular area?
Any change in food you've been feeding?
How old is your dog?
What breed?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: I rescued him last year, he had a few bumps on his head that I noticed which have grown some over the past year. Then found more on his legs and paws and a couple just popped up on his back. He is approximately 12 years old and is a cocker spaniel mix. There have been no changes to his food since I have had him.

Cocker spaniels are prone to develop sebaceous cycst which are plugged oil glands in the sin. These bumps are relatively harmless. I think though that your dog may have a skin condition as well that is causing his itching. This may be related to an allergy or not. Usually they are seen with allergies. The allergy could be due to a different treat, something new in the home, different shampoo. Dogs can even develop an allergy to something they have been around their whole life.
It could be a few different things. First thing is to definitely rule out fleas. If your dog is on advantage or frontline, you can skip this step. If they are not, you should at least explore the possibility of fleas by examining your dog’s skin especially around the rump area under a bright light. Fleas are fast and are a reddish brown color so you have to look closely. Frequently you will only see flea dirt (feces). If you find fleas dirt or what you think is flea dirt, get a moist white paper towel and rub it on the area. If it turns reddish color then it most likely your dog has fleas. A flea comb or lice comb run through the area may capture a live flea as well.    

If fleas are ruled out, then there probably is a skin condition such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflammed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours to help relieve the itching.

Hope these suggestions help.