Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My toy poodle has been prescribed Azium 2.5mg tablets; ...

My toy poodle has been prescribed Azium 2.5mg tablets; twice daily for 3 days then once daily for 3 days, then 1 every 48 hours for an apparent hip/back problem (symptoms: stiffness, non-activity, tremors). The med seems to be improving the problem. Is this a usual treatment? Are there any side-effects that I should be aware of?   Thanks.
Azium is a steroid and it will help take away inflammation from the back problem. There can be some side effects if this drug is used at high doses for a long time. Some dogs on Azium will eat like they cannot get full, their belly may get larger from enlarged liver, and they may pant more than usual. Rarely, some dogs will have intestinal upset with vomiting and diarrhea from ulceration.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
For a 4~5 lb. dog, what would be considered "high dosage" of Azium over what general length of time?

If you are using a 2.5 mg tablet (Azium is usually only 0.25 mg) then that will be excessive. If you use it daily or every other day at a high dose then 3-4 weeks is the maximum. If you are using the lower dose, the 0.25 tablets, then the dog may take it for a year or more depending on how he reacts.