Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

what do I do if my dog swallowed a sock

she was running around and swallowed my 6yr old son's black dress sock.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

If this happened in the last 2 hours you can induce vomiting and try to retrieve the sock. You can induce vomiting with a 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds. This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. You will need to look through the vomit to be sure the object is expelled.

If it does not come up, about all you can do is wait and see what happens. You will need to keep an eye on your dogs stools to see if the object passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dogs stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure the object passes through your dog's system.

Hope this helps.