Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has a growth on his lower lip. It started very ...

My dog has a growth on his lower lip. It started very tiny, flat and white. It has been rapidly growing. First the size changed, then it became raised, and now it is a reddish-pink color. It looks like a pencil eraser. Any ideas?

You may be seeing the start of on Canine Oral Papilloma. It is like cold sores in humans. It usually clears up on its own in a few weeks. You can read more about this here:

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The "warts" in the picture are a white color. My dog's lump (solitary) has changes from white to pink to now a very reddish color. The center looks like it may burst and start leaking fluid - blood. Does this seem like the same thing? I would have said yes a week ago, but it is rapidly changing shape and color
Hi Woodward,

I do believe it is what you are seeing. However, if your dog is older, you may be seeing a cutaneous papillomas (single). These are solitary and virtually identical to multiple wars forming on the oral membranes. On the following page they suggest that crushing the wart may help trigger the immune system to clear them faster.

Hope this helps.