Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

pomeranian: there any special food , or treats..was her first heat

Customer Question

my pomeranian is pregnant, and will have puppie's in december.
is there any special food , or treats I can give her? is there any
thing I should be concerned about and do to help her along?
she is a young dog- this was her first heat.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

Your dog should be on high quality puppy food if she is pregnant. You should also be sure she gets exercise to stay in shape.

Most likely everything will be OK and the puppies will be born normally and your female will care for them and have enough milk to feed them and be the perfect mommy. However, since she is not mature in body and mind, you will need to be prepared in case this doesn't happen.

You will need to know IN ADVANCE how to help free the puppy from the sac, cut the cord, clean the pup and clear it's throat. You will need to have milk replacer, bottles, a food scale and other items needed to raise orphan puppies ready just in case your female has problems or just refuses to take care of the puppies or doesn't get milk in.

It's not that dogs this young can't have puppies and have everything work out fine, it is just more likely that some problem will occur. You can read up on all the things you will need to know at the following site.

Hope this helps.