Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

I would like to give my dog a sleep aid so that I can give ...

I would like to give my dog a sleep aid so that I can give him a hair cut myself. He's older and gets too stressed out when I take him to the groomer. How much would be safe?

No "sleep aid" is safe to give to your dog. The only safe OTC medication would be plain benedryl..this will take the edge off so to speak. You can give him 1mg per pound of body weight to help him relax. Good luck and happy trimming :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So the benedryl won't make him tired enough to sleep through the hair cut? He's so high strung and crabby. He knows what is about to happen when we get started with grooming and he hates it. I was hoping that he could just sleep through it for both our sakes. I want to be safe though.
Unfortunately it will not knock him out completely, but it should relax him enough to do the haircut. You can always discuss with your vet about getting a prescribed sedative for this purpose, but OTC sleep aids are dangerous. :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you!
You're very welcome :)