Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
263661

what dose it mean when a mother dog rejects her pup

if a dog has puppys and after 1-2weeks starts to push the puppy around and not feed it what dose this mean
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
How many puppies does she have? Is she just pushing this one aside? Is it smaller than the others? Is it her first litter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just this 1 puppy no not smaler then others
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.

What breed is she? Did she have others that did not make it? How is the mom acting? Is she eating and active? Are you 100% sure that she has no retained dead puppies? They normally do not want to care for a pup if they them self may be ill or if they know that something is wrong with the puppy. The generally know when something is wrong. Or if she is young and this is the first one she may just be inexperienced. I feel you need to take them both to the vet for an exam to rule out any possible problems. You may end up bottle feeding the pup.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is a newfoundland we get a puppy from a kennel and had her for 28days in that time she was hosp 2 times frist time she had parvo and was ther for a week 2 she was ther overnigth and had maen test done and were told that we should put her down so we did then we found out that we had been rejected by her mother and wanted to know if someone how has been in the kennel busness for 30 years should have know that being reject was a good sign that ther was something worng
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
Newfoundlands normally have large litters. Are you saying that there was only one in the entire litter? Do you have any idea if she had more but they may have died? Are you saying you had to have your puppy put down? I am so sorry for your loss. If she had had Parvo and then was sick again do you have any idea what tests they did on her and what the diagnosis was to tell you to put her down> Did you buy her from the breeder and how long did you have her before she got sick the first time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we had her 2days and she was hosp.we do know that she alest had 1 brother. she had altrasounds and blood tranfustions thay sad that her body was trying to grow shants and that she was not getting any proteens or suger
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
Have you talked with the breeder? Did you have any sort of contract? If you paid for this pup a reputable breeder will give you a refund or another puppy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes we have and he did refund are money. but we spent 5,777.00 on vet bills and feel it was due to him not informing us of the facks about the puppy.we would never have got a dog with that past .we feel that thay should pay or at lest help with the bills. that is why i am asking if a puppy is rejested from its mother is a good sign that ther is something worng. and that them being breeder for 30 years should have know this.
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
Personally I feel that they should have had an idea that something was not right if they have been breeding for that long. Unfortunately they are probably going to say that you did not have to have all of that done before having the pup put down. If you take them to court you may be able to recoup some of the money. I wish you the best of luck and if you get another puppy be sure that if it does get sick you contact the breeder immediately to see what their policy is (better yet- find out ahead of time and have it in writing). Some breeders prefer to use their own vet if they are going to pay the bill.
Experience: 20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes