Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my yorkie is having puppies now. The first one has ...

my yorkie is having puppies now. The first one has come out and it has a long tail. Both of my yorkies do not have a long tail. do you have to take to the vet to have the tail cutr and if so at what age does this need to be done?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Tails are docked at 3-4 days. Yorkshire terriers do have their tails docked. You can read about Yorkies here:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/yorkshireterrier.htm

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My yorkie just turned 1 year how many puppies will she have do you think. Also when can i touch the puppies? I want to change the towles.
HiCustomer

The average litter size for Yorkies is 2-3. You can touch the puppies for limited amounts of time in order to change bedding. Puppies are not able to regulate their own body temperature so you do not want to keep them away from mom and littermates for too long.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you take the mom and the puppies to the vet to have this done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Yes you do take the mother and puppies to the vet to have the tail docking done. Call tommorrow and make an appointment as some vets like to do it outside of normal office hours so the pups are not exposed to other animals.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should we put food and water in the kennel for the mother. Also when should i let her out to go pottie?
Hi Holli,

You should offer her food and water. She probably won't eat until tommorrow though. If you take her to go pottie be sure and take a flashlight and towel in case she delivers a puppy outside. Once your dog is eating, drinking, urinating, nursing her puppies, cleaning them and basically acting normal, she has most likely delivered all her puppies.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do i just leave the mom alone for the night
Customer

That is a personal decision you will have to make. I do not leave my new mothers alone with their pups the first night as some moms will lay on a newborn pup accidently and smother it. If your dog is still having puppies you will not want to leave her alone at least until she is done delivery.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: she has had three and the third one is very small but moving around should i be consurned? Also how do i know when she is done having puppies? do we take the mother in a different room and leave the pups by them selfs
Customer

It is possible for a mother to not deliver all her pups. Usually when a pup is retained, a dog does not act normal. They may appear restless, distressed, actively straining, lethargic, non interested in their pups.

However, if your dog is eating, drinking, urinating, nursing her puppies, cleaning them and basically acting normal, she has most likely delivered all her puppies.

If you feel there is a puppy still inside your female, then you should take her to the Vet to be sure. It's a good idea to take her and the pups in anyway for a post whelping checkup to ensure all placentas were delivered as well.

YOU DO NOT remove the mother from the puppies. The mother has to be with them to feed, clean and take care of them. As for the litle one, as long as it is nursing on mom, it should be OK. There is usually a runt in every litter.

The following website gives detailed information on every aspect of whelping.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it ok for the dad to be with them or should he be kep away
Customer

Keep dad away from the puppies for a while. Many females will attack any dog and even people who come near their pups.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist