Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

can i give my dog a bath after giving birth

Customer Question

my dog just gave birth 3 days ago and i wanted to know if i could give her a bath because she is very dirty
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

I would not wash a dog that had just had puppies for a few weeks. You do not want to immerse her as you could cause a vaginal infection. If shampoo is used the puppies may ingest it when nursing no matter how well you believe you rinsed her. You can use plain water or a damp towel to clean her off. If there are areas that are mated due to being soiled, you can clip the hair away there. It will grow back.

If a large area of her becomes damp you will want to dry her thoroughly before returning her to the pups. You also don't want to leave her away from the puppies for too long right after delivery.

I'd wait until the puppies were at least close to weaning for a full bath and then be sure you rinse her real well even then.

I hope you find this information helpful.