Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

5 in 1 shot - side effects

dog just received shots and is now showing symptoms of all diseases protected againts
\
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

How old is your dog?

Is this his/her first time getting shots while in your care?

What symptoms is he/she showing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
blood test came back positive for hepatitis, cancer, lyme disease. dog is now on anti biotics and seems to be showing some improvement. Could the shots have caused these problems
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: missed part of your question. It is my daughters dog and is about 10 years old. She has had shots all of her life. yearly visits to vet.
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

How long has she been on the antibiotics?

And how long ago did she get the shots?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: Got the shots last Sunday morning. Has been on meds since thursday
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.
First, most vets will not give vaccinations while the pet is ill...as these side effects are more prominent in ill dogs. Not saying your vet did wrong..they all do things differently :) I am pretty sure that you are seeing these because of that. If she is showing symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, then feed this baby a bland diet ONLY of boiled chicken and rice with a bit of cottage cheese. The cottage cheese is not only easily digested, but also has a bit of sugar in it to maintain her sugar level. Make sure she stays hydrated. You can give her plain pedialyte to help aid in hydration. If she has a fever, normal is 100-102.5, please call your vet. A fever can be pretty dangerous. Take her temperature rectally and make sure that the thermometer is lubricated well for comfort. She should not have a fever, since she is on antibiotics, but take it anyways just to make sure. If her symptoms worsen or she can not hold down the bland diet, please have your daughter take her back to the vet. I wish you well and hope this girl feels better very very soon. :)
Experience: 15+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.