Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

The dog cant poop

Customer Question

The dog can't poop
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind). A spoon full on the dog's food should keep his bowels hydrated and his feces soft enough to pass.

A spoon of mineral oil on his food can also be used but should not be used all the time.

There are two methods I use for young puppies which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

If your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking or you notice any of the signs listed below, the the dog needs to see a vet.

If your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.
If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color.
If rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal)
If your dog becomes lethargic and non responsive

I hope you find this information helpful.