Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my rescued chihuahua is leaking milk does this mean pups if ...

Customer Question

my rescued chihuahua is leaking milk does this mean pups if so how close
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Beretta,

It might mean puppies, but it could also indicate a false pregnancy. Dogs experiencing a false pregnancy go through all the same signs as a real pregnancy.

Most start leaking milk in the last week or two of pregnancy though some do earlier and some never leak. If you lay her on her side and feel between her ribs and hindquarters above the breast area. If she's in the last week of pregnancy, you can usually feel puppies moving around. If she is having a false pregnancy you wont feel anything and you might not feel anything if she is a little earlier in her pregnancy.

With a chihuahua though, you will want to have her seen as many chis are unable to deliver vaginally and she should have an x-ray during the last week to see if she needs a c-section or not. Best for you to know this now. The vet can tell you for sure if she is pregnant or not.

Let me know if you feel babies.