Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes

is it safe to give a dog ham hocks

No Comment Added
This is not a good idea as any bone can splinter to a certain degree. Bone splinters can cause perforated bowels and fresh ham hocks with any meat left on them can cause pancreatitis. Both of these can be life threatening. You may feed them for a long time with no problems but all is takes is one time for a problem to arise and it can be life threatening.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: so I should never give them ANY bone? even beef soup bones?
If you want to be 100% safe you should not. They can also cause constipation as well. As I stated- you may never have a problem and bones like chicken bones are certainly the worse so never give those. Beef bones can splinter also though they do not do it as often- they still can. Take one and hit it with a hammer and see the different shapes you can create- you'll be surprised.