Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

What happens is my female shih tzu goes past her due date

Customer Question

What happens is my female shih tzu goes past her due date? What should be done?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.

How many days past the due date is she?

Is this a confirmed pregnancy?

Is she showing any signs of labor...nesting, temperature drop?

Is this her first litter?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: She was bred 3 times... 11-21-06 will be the 63rd day from the 3rd time, so she is not quite past due, but I am concerned that she is going to be and what my options are. She is defienetly pregnant, she is enormous and I can feel lots of pups moving and kicking inside of her. She is still eating, there is no drop in her temp, she nests a little but not much, and she is definetly uncomfortable. This is her 2nd litter. She had 6 pups her 1st litter and there were born on the 59th day after breeding.
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.
OK...since she is not quite there yet, keep an eye on her temperature. Some veterinarians will offer a shot of oxytocin to induce labor in dogs that are past their due dates and some will try to get you to opt for a cesearan section. If she didn't have any problems with delivery the first time, I would discuss the use of oxytocin with your vet to induce labor if she goes over 3 days past her due date. For now, remember to walk her plenty, check her temp twice per day and make sure she has a nice quiet place to call her how to whelp. Good luck and wish you a happy healthy ON TIME litter :)