Deborah, Animal Rescue Worker
Experience:  Breeder of West Highland White Terriers, Pet Emergency Preparedness/FEMA Contra Costa County

When a dogs eyes turn white does it mean they are blind

Customer Question

our dogs eyes are white and shes not acting like she is blind but we are curious becuase there white
Category: Dog
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.

How old is your dog?

Your dog may have cataracts. I would suggest that you take her to the vet for an exam. The only current treatment option is surgery but with the outcome is very good.

Another consideration and probably the cause is nuclear sclerosis which is a normal change that occurs in the lens of older dogs. Nuclear sclerosis appears as a slight graying of the lens. It usually occurs in both eyes at the same time and occurs in most dogs over six years of age. The loss of transparency occurs because of compression of the linear fibers in the lens. The condition does not significantly affect the vision of the dog and treatment is not recommended

Let me know if you have questions.