Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

My dog has a small bump near her eye. What is a good remedy

She received panolog ointment for a hot spot, not sure if treating her with the same ointment is recommendable
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

Can you describe this small bump in more detail?

Is it red and inflammed? Oozing?

Does it itch or hurt?

Is it on top of the skin or under it?

Would you call it a pimple, wart, skin tag, tumor, cyst or growth?

How close to the eye is it?

Does it bother her?

Is it growing in size?

Does she have more than one?

Is there hair loss?

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
She had a similar little bump on her eyebrow last week but it went away with a little bit of the ointment. There was just a little bit of hair loss on the bump last week. It looks like a small white pimple, seems ot be under her skin. It doesn't ooze or seems red and it is not growing. The new pimple seems to be very close to the corner of the eye. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, so I assume it doesn't itch or hurt. If it doesn't get better I'm making a vet appointment next monday, I just want to treat her bump in the mean time this weekend and was wondering it the panolog ointment is dangerous to apply due to the proximity of her eye.
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

If it isn't bothering her and she isn't scratching or rubbing at it, the best treatment is no treatment until you have her seen by a vet. If you have however an actual eye ointment at home called BNP opthalmic (only available by prescription) then you can use this as it is an antibiotic ointment but it is safe for the eyes. Chances are no topicals are going to penetrate the skin well enough to have an effect until the skin is broken so it may just become an annoyance as applying topicals will draw attention to the area.

Let me know if further assistance is needed.