Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

causes and effects of geriatric vestibulitis

Customer Question

I have a sixteen year old Golden Retreiver who has developed geriatric vestibulitis in the past week. A very bad case, head tilt, nausea, vomiting etc
Is this a permanent condition and what can I do to prevent it in the future?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer

Cogs with Geriatric vestibulitis do recover as their body adjusts to having the problem. This usually takes a few weeks. You may have to help your dog up and down steps and be a bit more understanding until your dog adjusts to the way the body feels now. This is similiar to Vertigo in humans. Most likely she will recover with no effect, though some keep a bit of a head tilt. Since it is a case of the body adjusting to the condition and not a cure, she shouldn't have the symptoms again and if she does they will be less intense.

Here is a great site on this:
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

Hope this helps.