NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

is there a sedative I can give my dog to clip her nails

Customer Question

is there a sedative I can give my dog to clip her nails? The vet said she will have to go under a general to do this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
The best thing to do is to work on training your dog to allow nail trimming.
This site goes over the training which may help your dog a lot
The home sedatives the vet might give you would not be enough to allow you to trim the nails.
If they are in awful shape then you may want to start with the vet working on them and then work on training so you can do it yourself.
Alternatively if the dog is healthy enough for this you can try walking your dog on a cement sidewalk. Back when I walked my dogs a mile round trip on sidewalks to and from the park every day I had no nail problems at all with them and never had to trim one nail.
Hope this helps you!