Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

Why does my dog constantly lick his blanket

At times during the day, my 10-year old Chihuahua will lie in her bed and continually lick her blanket. Other than a heart murmur, she is relatively healthy. Could she be lacking something in her diet?
If you are feeding a high quality diet to your girl, then chances are she does this to gain comfort. Licking stimulates a gland in their mouth which gives them great pleasure. The thing that concerns me is if she ingests the fibers from the blanket that could cause her to get an obstruction of the GI tract. Do your best to deter her from behavior...when she does it, distract her with something positive to lick/chew like a bully stick or nylabone. With continuous redirection, she will stop this behavior quickly :)