Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

what is the correct dose of tramadol for a 12 lb. dog

my minature dachshund was hit by a car - barely grazed her front right paw - she is eating and drinking, but will not put the paw down - looks like her thumb nail is gone. It is not swollen - do you think it might be broken. Should we wait overnite and see how she does and what should we look for? I have tramadol hcl 50mg tablets - should i give her some for pain and if so how many miligrams for a 12 lb. dog and how often. Help!!

The problem with car accidents is that there can be a lot more internal injuries than external. And any anti-inflammatory that you can give her will lead to thinning of the blood, which can make internal bleeding worse.

I would not suggest an anti-inflammatory at this point unless your vet has ruled out internal injuries.

The only way to tell if there is an actual break is to get x-rays.

Keep in mind that losing a toenail is common and pretty painful.

Let me know if you want to discuss this more.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i am pretty sure she doesn't have any internal injuries - she is not sore at all and is up and barking. if the leg is not broken, will she put pressure on it in a few days or not. Would like to give her tremadol for pain of toenail, but do not know the dosage.

I still would not use tremadol. Some aspirin is the only thing that I can recommend. You can read about dosage info and precautions here:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm

If she puts NO weight on that foot for more than 24 hours, you need to see the vet with her.