Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

my dog ate 1/2 of a norvasc 10mg pill is this bad for hom

my dog weighs 75 lbs he is a 7month old rottweiller he chewed up a prescription bottle of Norvasc 10mg that had one pill left he only ate half of the pill. does this medication of any bad effects for dogs?

The amount that he consumed was quite low, about a quarter of the low end dose that is given to dogs to assist in reducing blood pressure. Your concern about the medication having an affect is low, my concern would be how much of the pill bottle he has consumed and whether it is going to pass. Monitor for signs of weakness, excessive tiredness, vomiting, or depression. If these do present I would have him seen by a veterinarian.

Norvasc and blood pressure in dogs

Theresa

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: The pill bottle was all there he did not eat any of it just chewed it open and got the pill it must not have tasted good for him to have spit it back out. so this is a medication given to dogs also in what dose?
The dosage given in dogs with hypertension is 0.5-2.0 mg/kg.
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.

Norvasc is a drug that is given to cats and dogs. Below will explain the side effects. Please let me know if you need further help.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/amlodipine-besylate-norvasc/page1.aspx