Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my pug dog sounds like she has mucus in her throat and nose ...

Customer Question

my pug dog sounds like she has mucus in her throat and nose and its hard for her to breathe.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

If your dog is having problems breathing she needs to see a vet immediately. It sounds like she has an upper respiratory illness such as kennel cough or canine influenza.

Here is a website with more information on kennel cough.

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dog breathe easier, Robitussin DM can be used to control the cough.Dosages can be obtained at this website.

I hope you find this information helpful.