Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why does my puppy cry when he poops

Customer Question

My puppy started crying when he pooped, so we took him to the vet. The vet said he wasn't clogged, and that we should start giving him softer food. We did that, and he soon passed a rubber band that he had swallowed. He stopped crying for about a week. He has started crying again when he poops, but he only does it some of the time. He doesn't feel bloated, and he doesn't always cry when he poops. Should we be worried, or get an x-ray done. Sometimes also when he is done pooping he will do the dog butt skoot once or twice. But that is it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

It sounds as if your dog may have a problem with his anal glands.

If your dog is dragging their behind on the ground or carpet and their anus area has a bad odor and swollen, it can be symptoms of an anal gland problem. You will want to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area.

The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions.. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

According to some research done the main reason reason dogs develop problems with their anal glands are due to being fed soft foods, table scraps and marinated foods which prevents the formation of firm stools which naturally help keep the anal glands emptied. Additionally the ingestion of non food items, parasitic infections such as worms, and a genetic predisposition are additional factor in some cases.

Here is a link to an article written on the subject.

I would try adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin (not the pie kind) to his food everyday. This will regulated his bowels and keep his stool firm but pliable.

Hope this helps.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
If he swallowed one non food item he may have swallowed more.
Its also possible he has an injury in the intestinal tract from the rubber band or from the straining he was doing.
Pups can telescope intestines from straining which will cause pain.
You may want to do a barium x-ray or an ultrasound to see if there is any soft material bothering him or see if any twist or other damage to the intestinal tract can be spotted.
This is not normal and you are right to be concerned.
If your vet isn't as concerned about this as you are you may want to consult another vet including a small animal internal medicine specialist and this site may help you find one
For sure check out the anal glands first but if that isn't it I'd keep looking and not ignore the issue.
Hope this helps you!