Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

At what age can a female pitbull dog mate and would it be ...

Customer Question

At what age can a female pitbull dog mate and would it be bad for her to mate with the male dog when he is alot older? I have a female pitbull who is around 9-11 months also a male pitbull who is 6 years it any harm for her to mate with him and could they breed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Suzy,

I'm glad that you are taking the time to do some research before breeding.

Before breeding your dog you should get the dog health tested for any potential diseases prevalent in the breed. This helps ensure healthy puppies. Different breeds have different health problems associated with them.. In many breeds Hip Dysplasia is a problem and is generally tested at 24 months. This helps to be sure you are not breeding a dog with a health problem that potentially could be passed down to the puppies.

Male dogs can breed as young as 6-7 months though it is recommended that you wait until they are mature in mind and body which at a minimum I would say is 18-24 months old.

Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. Again, you want to wait until they are mature before having to raise pups of their own. Also breeding a younger female can result in additional problem such as smaller litter size and additional health problems in the mother. I recommend 24 months as well for females.

You may find this site helpful if you are considering breeding

There is no harm in having a much older male mate with a younger female.

I hope this helps.