Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

can you give a dog low dose aspirin

my dog has an ear infection and the vet only travels to our area once a week, can i give my dog low dose aspirin, one a day until the vet arrives?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer

It is probably a yeast or bacterial infection of the ear. You can use a mixture of distilled vinegar, water and alcohol on a cotton ball to gently clean the ear.

In a yeast infection, you will see black buildup in the ear. You may also notice redness and bleeding, and your dog scratching the ear as well. You can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps until you can get in to see the Vet, but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet.

Hope this helps.