Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

dog is shaking, and ocassionally moaning, and she can ...

Customer Question

dog is shaking, and ocassionally moaning, and she can walk but stumbles and when laying down she sways back and forth. she might have licked some oven cleaner when my mom was cleaning but not for sure
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 7 years ago.

what age, breed and weight is she?

when would she have licked the oven cleaner?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she about 7 yrs old.im not sure about her weight maybe50-65 lbs. she is a golden retriever

has she had any recent ear infections/

when and what did she eat last?

put two drops of pancake syrup right on her tongue and tell me if she perks up in five minutes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she about 7 yrs old.im not sure about her weight maybe50-65 lbs. she is a golden retriever. she got might have gotten into it up to hour and half ago
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: ok i just did and i guess ill wait a lil bit
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she seems to be a little more alert her head is up she is still shaking but its not a continous shaking it more like pulsating and she is still breathing a little heavy

Dear friend,

She may be hypoglycemic. If so, she should perk up in about five minutes.If she really licked oven cleaner that product can be toxic and you would need to get her to a vet ASAP. If she had a proior ear infection she can have Vestibular syndrome which is similar to human motion sickness.You can read about it here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

This is treated with antibiotics but sometimes can resolve by itself.

Retrievers are notorious for chewing non food items so she may have licked or ingested oven cleaner or other product. Since she did respond to the syrup - give her two more drops. Then feed her bread, cottage cheese or mashed potaotoes - anything spongy to counteract anything in her stomach. Get as much as you can into her.

Please let me know how she is doing. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to help.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: i forgot one thing that when i when outside she was layin down and had like white foam around her face down her neck she was laying in it and i dont know if the would help but she peed where she was laying just now although she does seem to be doing better
look in her mouth and see if she has any sores.She would if she licked oven cleaner because it is caustic. Try feeding her the items I listed and let me know how she is doing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: i dont want to say she isnt shaking at all but she isnt shaking as much at all she still kinda pants. she finally got up and was trying to walk but it looks as if she was just learning for the first like she didnt know where she was going. now she is laying down again and shaking
can you get unflavored pedialyte and mix it in her water?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: do u know where that might be available
Pedialyte is made for human chidlren and is sold in the baby dept or any drug store or supermarket. Mix it in her water as it will balance her electrolytes and make her feel better.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: i got the pedialyte how much should i mix in or does it matter
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: also i just got back and she is starting to walk better kinda slow but at least it looks like she knows whats she is doing
How is she now? Any better?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she is doing way better thank you very much she acting just normal now. is there anything else i should do for the future

Dear friend,

I am sooooo happy to hear she is better! You saved her life by giving he rthe pedialyte and syrup and keeping her hydrated and stable. May God bless you!

Just watch her for any recurring symptoms. If you don't see any she should be fine. If you need anything, just let me know and I will be here for you.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: thank you very much