Dr. Chenoa
Dr. Chenoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Tufts Veterinary School graduate, Mass licensed vet
2413442

My dog is panting, has a warm nose and is shaking. she ...

My dog is panting, has a warm nose and is shaking. she started this today and has not been as active. I am going to call my Vet. tomorrow, is there anything I can do tonight?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Chenoa replied 10 years ago.
Is she still eating? Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?
Thanks, XXXXX
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Chenoa's Post: She is eating and normal besides.
Okay, that is good news.
She may have a fever. If you have a (an extra) thermometer around, I can guide you through taking her temperature. If her temperature is very high, we can have you put some rubbing alcohol on her foot pads and outer part of the ears. We only want to do this if she has a fever though, because if her temp is normal or low, it will lower it more.
The next thing I'm going to have you check is for pain anywhere. Fever and pain are the top two things that would cause these signs all of a sudden. Gently press on her belly, legs, and along her spine. See if anything is uncomfortable, and let me know what you find with that, and if you have an extra thermometer.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Chenoa's Post: no termometer and she seems to tighten up when i touch her rear legs
Okay, great job so far!
Either rear leg, or up by her hips?
What breed, weight, and age is she?
Depending on what we have, we might be able to figure out a buffered aspirin dose for her tonight.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Chenoa's Post: By the hip area, she is an 8 year old cocker spaniel. she weighs about 25lbs.
Okay, so I would try some buffered aspirin (only- not ibuprofen or aleve)tonight with food. Most buffered aspirins come in 82 mg tabs, and I would recommend one of these, but you can safely go up to half of a 325 mg, assuming there are no stomach or kidney problems. She may have a sprain or strain, and hopefully nothing else.
Good luck, and please let me know if you have more questions.
Dr. Chenoa
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Chenoa's Post: Thank you for your time and advise.
Not a problem. Let me know if you have more questions after the vet tomorrow :)