NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

is a cocker spaniel and wire haired terrier mix a good dog ...

Customer Question

is a cocker spaniel and wire haired terrier mix a good dog to adopt for children?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
It depends on the individual dog. I would expect a mix like this to have a coat that needs serious grooming attention regularly, a personality that would require training time from adults in the home, and an energy level to keep up with kids in play.
Both breeds have a potential for being biters and to respond negatively if they are hurt.
But the key thing is the individual dog. This site has a puppy and adult dog aptitude test which you might find helpful in assessing the dog you are looking at
If this is a pup raised in a home with nice kids in it that is a plus. If this is a pet store dog I'd walk away. If it is a shelter dog then the aptitude test may help you figure out temperament and tendencies.
Hope this helps you!