Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.

Why is my dog eating dry wall and plaster

Customer Question

My 11 month old bulldog puppy has been chewing on our baseboards and ate a hole in our wall through the plaster and dry wall.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Patricia replied 8 years ago.

Hello. He is probably not eating it, although as a puppy he might try some so you must put a stop to it right away as it could be toxic for him. More than likely though, he is just doing what pups and young dogs do best, XXXXX XXXXX chew. Hopefully he will outgrow it since most do. But in the meantime, you must block his access to dangerous items like that and provide him with plenty of dog safe things he can chew. Load him up with a variety of chews, both some he can eat as he gnaws them and some that will just stand up to the chewing and last a while. One of the best, XXXXX XXXXX opinion and experience is one of the Kong toys. You can hide treats inside and they are pretty much indestructible. I have a large Macaw who has one and if it can stand up to that beak as well as it has, it's going to last a dog for a very long time. If you have spots that are impossible to block him from, you can try some Grannicks Apple Bitters. It should be available at most pet stores. It's totally harmless to the dog (or bird) but it has a really nasty, bitter taste. A couple times getting that in his mouth will more than likely deter him from being interested in that spot again. I hope this will help but if you have any more questions, just let us know. Patricia

Click here: Dog Toys: Kong Toys at Drs. Foster & Smith Some examples for you.

Click here: Drs. Foster & Smith Chew Stop ® And another example of a chew deterrent.