Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

My 11 year old yellow lab keeps throwing up his food after ...

My 11 year old yellow lab keeps throwing up his food after drinking water. It doesn't matter how long he wait till he drinks it. Why does this kep happening For the past 2 weeks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

is he able to hold down food?

is he moving his bowels OK?

does he chew non food items?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: his bowels are fine
he doesn't chew none food items
he can keep food down fine until he drinks water

Is he eating the same food he has always eaten and drinking water from the same source?

does he load up on water before, after or during his meal?

Does he eat dry food?

IS ANYTHING DIFFERENT :

BM

urination

appetite,

thirst

ect

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: no he does not load up on water.
He was on W/D food from the vet, we just switched him to I/D about a month ago.
We switched him slowly by first mixing both foods.
besides that everything else is the same.
I give him dog treats such as bull sticks, othe rdog cookies during the day. He does fine then.

Dear friend,

It could be he is sensitive to the I/D and is not digesting it properly. It therefore remains in his intestine until the water brings it up. It may also be a bad batch. Try adding water to the food so it will not be too dry. Feen him very small frequent meal. No large ones. Limit the amount of water he drinks.You can give him ice to lick if he is overly thirsty. I would also try a completely different bag of food in case the one you got is tainted. If this continues you may have to go back to W/D since his body was more tolerant of it. There is a great deal of fiber in these foods and it may be too much for him.

Sometimes older dogs have metabolic issues like pancreatic, thyroid, renal, high or low blood sugar, etc. Amy of those could cause his system to find the food indigestable or bring it up with fluid. You may have to do some bloodwork to ascertain if he is dealing with any of these imbalances.

Please let me know how he is doing. If you have any further questions, I will help in any way possible.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had to run my son somewhere.

Dear friend

Do not worry about that at all. I am not going annywhere.

If you have more questions or would like to discuss this further - I will always be here for you.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: We tried giving him ice cubes, he threw up from them. He hardly had any.
We then gave him water long after he had thrown up all his food. He then projectile vomited all liquid immediately after drinking.
I am so worried about him
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: also, We tried just giving him noodles one feeding, he threw those up as well.

Dear friend,

If he was not doing this with the w/d you need to take him off the I/D. There is a problem with his inabiity to digest this food. It is not normal to vomit water especially since you have even tried ice cubes and he cannot retain them.This can even be a pre bloat condition. Because of your boys age, he really needs to see his vet for evaluation. However, try switching back to w/d and see if this issue resolves. If it does - you will know the issue is with the food and not with your boy. I personally do not care for science diet because it contains corn and gluten and many dogs are intolerant of these grains.

You shoul try taking him off dog food completely and try cottage cheese or boiled chicken and see if he tolerates that any better.

Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs