Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Small Animal Practice for 13 years

Can you put Vicks vapo rub on a dogs nose for them to lick off

Customer Question

dogs have cough, vet said not kennel cough. Gave me Doxycycline for them and said to put some vicks vapo rub on their nose 3 x a day & let them lick it off. On the box of vicks vapo rub it says DO NOT INGEST, CALL POISON CONTROL. My vet said his mom made him eat it as a kid and that it is ok. I am hesitant with that warning on the Vicks box. Is it ok to do? Jean
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Smith replied 9 years ago.

Hi Jean, great question!!

I would not recommend the product be ingested, so I side with you!! I have never used this product in clinic practice and would be leary of using it as an "oral" medication.

As this product contains Camphor, it is HIGHLY irritating to the oral and GI high enough doses, it can cause SEIZURES!!!

I don't care WHAT your vet not use it as directed by your vet!!

Please remember to "ACCEPT" if I have answered your question to your satisfaction.
I appreciate your trust and confidence in my professional experience and knowledge!

Best wishes to your and your pet, Dr. Smith