NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My neighbor sprinkles lime on his dogs waste. Said it ...

My neighbor sprinkles lime on his dogs excrement not urine. Said it dissolves it and the lime is good for the lawn. He said it will not hurt his dog. My husband and I just adopted two beautiful Shitzu 's and I do not wish to do anything to harm them. Is his statement true and does it dissolve the excrement? And is it safe? HELP
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Its much better to pick up the stool and dispose of it than to cover it in lime and wait for it to decompose.
Stools can carry parasite eggs and removing them keeps your yard from becoming contaminated.
If its a caustic lime he is using it can burn the dog's feet and nose and skin.
Lime does reduce the development of methane gas and odors and was often used in outhouse type latrine set ups.
These sites have some options for stool disposal
Hope this helps you!