S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults

my dog is trying to poop and he is whimpering and crying, ...

Customer Question

my dog is trying to poop and he is whimpering and crying, he ate a store bought bone, and a chew strip, what can I do to help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 10 years ago.

How long ago did he eat these things? Did he actually ingest them (swallow them) or just typically chew them up?

How long has his constipation gone on? When is the last time he had a normal movement?

What is his age and breed?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: he ate them yesterday, I didn't see him swallow the bone, but its no where around the yard,
He actually passed a small amount of runny stoll,

When did he have runny stool (and was there any blood or pink in it?)

Has he been eating regularly and drinking?

Has he been acting lethargic or depressed? Possibly running a fever?

Let me know whatever details you can ok?

Age, breed?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: about an hour ago, no blood, or pink,looked more like chewed dog food, with a slimmy goo mixed.
He's eating and drinking ok, he's acting kind of scared leaning against us, and acting upset when we try to walk away, not usually like this,
No fever, but he's drooling more then usual,
He is a male, just turned 2 years, Great Pyrnees
he weighs about 165lbs

The crying and the increased drooling aren't the best symptoms, but no temp and still eating/drinking, having passed something, are good.

He might have a partial blockage occuring, which isn't unusual with some of the bones and chewies that are available for dogs (and many times without problem). This link is important to reference for what might happen.

Since he passed some stool and you can tell better than anyone how much discomfort or pain he's in, you might want to try treating him for constipation (which I outline below); however, my advice is that since you know he ate the bone and chewie and you cannot find remnants of it, combined with his symptoms, I'd bring him in for an X-ray at the very least - without delay. These things can complicate rather quickly and you may find yourself with an emergency situation in the middle of the night.

Good sources of high fiber tolerated by your friend would be a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin (100% natural pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie mix); or sprinkle a couple spoons of wheat bran (or brewer's yeast), offer them a couple dried plums (aka: prunes), dried figs or even a bit of unsweetened dried coconut.

Call your vet for advice about how much Metamucil you can offer, based on your dog's health history, size/weight.

Making sure your dog gets regular fiber so this doesn't happen again (or is less likely to occur) is important, just as it is for all of us. Certain kibbles address this with their ingredients and you may want to switch brands, or simply contribute to the dog's daily diet with the items mentioned above.

This link provides more information about this

Don't forget, if constipation continues more than a couple days or there are any other symptoms of concern, there may be no time left to delay. This requires veterinary intercession early in order for chances for survival to be good.

Whether there's a foreign object lodged in their intestines, tumor, even a fecal ball, peritonitis may result. Untreated, it is life threatening.

Here is a link for sources of fiber for your dog

I hope this all turns out well - and would really like to hear from you with an update, ok?