Sakura & Kyo
Sakura & Kyo, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  7+ years of veterinary technician experience. Also enrolled Penn Foster College since 2005

How harmful is it for my dog to eat deer droppings

Customer Question

We recently put in an electronic fence for our dog (4months old) He has a free range in a pretty sizable area. Our back yard is wooded and we have deer that roam through daily. I think my dog is eating deer droppings. This morning and once last week we found him to be not him self.   Just real docile and lots of thick saliva. Last week I gave him some plain yogurt and he bounced right back. How bad is it for him to eat the droppings? Is plain yogurt okay to give him regularly?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sakura & Kyo replied 10 years ago.

Any stool has bacteria, parasites, along with many other things, you really need to try to stop him from eating the dropping. Below is a great site about stool eating. Please let me know if you have any questions.