Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog has had the sniffles and hes coughing and it looks ...

my dog has had the sniffles and hes coughing and it looks like hes breathing thru his mouth, Im wondering if this is allergies or a cold hes a maltese, and is 9yr.old how should i treat him like when should i take him to the vet or should i take him to the vet? thank you for your help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 years ago.

It is possible your dog my have caught kennel cough or possibly canine influenza. A heart condition such as heartworms can also cause a cough, which will need to checked if your dog is not on heartworm preventative. Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show or dog park. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough.

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover. If your dog has other health problems you will want to call your vet and let him know that he is now coughing and congested.

To help your dog breathe easier, Robitussin DM can be used to control the cough.Dosages can be obtained at this website.

Hope this helps.