Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 yrs working, treating, training and loving dogs, 5 yrs as an animal control officer

Why is my dog throwing up black stuff

Customer Question

I have dog around 30lbs who hasent ate in two weeks . At first my wife noticed magots on the floor where she slept . I took her to the vet and they gave her two shots . The vet said maybe she carried in a dead bird or mouce that had magots in it causing her to get sick , and if she diddent get better in a couple days to bring her back . I tried feeding her chicken and rice but she wouldent eat it . She will drink water but she cant keep it down. Now she is throwing up black stuff alot and often and i feel she is dying but she is only 8yrs old .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 10 years ago.
It sounds like she is having some intestinal bleeding going on. The fact that she can't keep anything down for so long could suggest a blockage or partial blockage of some sort. It would be best to either get her to an emergency clinic or if none are available have seen by your vet first thing in the morning. This is something very bad but without bloodwork and possibly xrays it would be guess work at best. It is possible that she has a case of pancreatitis, which could cause these symptoms. It may still be something that she ate. Normally you could give some pepto to help calm her stomach but with the vomiting it may make her vomit more.