Dr. Chenoa
Dr. Chenoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Tufts Veterinary School graduate, Mass licensed vet
2413442

How come by dog does not get excited when I come home from ...

How come by dog does not get excited when I come home from work but gets more excited when she sees a "stranger" if they were to come into my house?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Chenoa replied 10 years ago.
Is she timid or submissive when you come home, or just more un-interested? How old is she and what breed?
Thanks!
Dr. Chenoa
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Chenoa's Post: she is about 4-5 months old and a yellow pure bred lab. she is very affectionate but she doesnt get excited when i come home - not that she isnt interested. I have owned labs all my life and she is the first dog ive had that doesnt jump up and down and go nuts when i get home
Okay, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
While most labs are little clowns that will do anything to get anyone's attention, some are more quiet and submissive. She likely feels most comfortable around you, and feels that you are part of her pack. My dogs give me nothing more than a tail wag, quick greeting, and back to the couch they go when I get home. Someone comes over...try to pry them off!
At her age, not only is she probably thinking that you're part of her pack, but you're also the leader/alpha. If you know anything about her mother, it may be interesting to see how the mom raised the litter. Her mom may have disciplined the pups for over-exuberant behavior, and now you're the mom replacement. New people are a whole other ball game. Not only is she in the stages of developing investigative skills (as an eventual part of pack protection), but labs are very trusting, and usually wondering what the new person has for them..food, toys, or just more attention.
If she does not display any symptoms such as general lethargy, dullness after eating, poor appetite or growth rate, I would not worry about a medical problem. It sounds like you have one very laid back little girl!
Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you, or you do think of a symptom you are concerned about. Have fun with your puppy...they grow quickly!
Dr. Chenoa