Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

How do i pop the gland in my dogs butt

Customer Question

my dog drags his ass on the ground licks he's
tring to scracth his ass,or pop something.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi noshow,

If your dog is dragging her behind on the ground or carpet and her anus area has a bad odor and swollen, it can be symptoms of an anal gland problem. You will want to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area.

The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions.. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

If no lump in area It could also be tapeworm infestation. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus.
The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region.

Hope this helps.