Lori, Canine Health Care & Guidance
Experience:  Qualified by many years of healthcare & experience in breeding dogs

My dog seems to have an infected nipple...its red and ...

Customer Question

My dog seems to have an infected's red and swollen and bothering her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Is your dog spayed? Has she recently had puppies?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to LoriW's Post: nope she has not been spayed but is never outside unattended so she has not mated and she is just 1 year old in september...she has not had puppies..either. I am really worried because it is like infected and I want to know what to put on it unti the vet can see her...we live in a small town and they are pretty a whole week before they can see her. Please help. all she does is lick it and's painful but I have NO IDEA what to give her.
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

I'm concerned because it is very common for unspayed females to develope mammary cancer in dogs, so it IS important that you get her seen. Fortunately, in dogs, it is very easy to treat most of the time if it is caught early. Speaking from personal experience, my dog had surgery for mammary cancer at age 5 and lived until she was 18 and hers was pretty advanced, so treatment DOES work.

You need to keep the area clean so she doesn't get it infected if she is constantly licking it with peroxide and you can put neosporin on the area to help keep bacteria out. If she absolutely refuses to leave the area alone, you'll need to go to a petstore and get an Elizabethean Collar (or fashion one yourself out of plastic or cardboard to keep her from getting to the area and irritating it more. These look like cones that are put on her head.

I would definitely get her in as soon as possible. If she keeps on messing with it, you'll have a pretty severe infection on your hands.

Please let me know what the vet finds!