Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
1348006

What is causing my greyhound to belch very loudly , ...

Customer Question

What is causing my greyhound to belch very loudly , sometimes several times a day?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 10 years ago.
Belching is release of trapped gas from the stomach. So we need to figure out why your dog is swallowing too much air. Often dogs that are voracious eaters will gulp their food and take in air at the same time. One way to prevent this is to liquify the food. Another thing is to place the food bowls in an elevated position, like on a cinder block or a stand. Some dogs have throat problems and swallow too much (like people that chew gum and swallow often). That causes them to belch out the air in the stomach. Check with your vet to see if your dog has any throat problems and to make sure that the dog is swallowing normally.